Wednesday, June 9, 2010

God is likely?

Why something being possible or likely does not warrant belief:

What if I said, “I believe the next coin flip will be heads.” Is that reasonable? It is entirely possible, yet it is not reasonable to claim belief that a certain outcome is true or going to happen. The chance that the coin will be heads is relatively probable, yet it is unreasonable to believe it will be heads. Similarly, it is unreasonable to believe that there is life on Europa without such evidence even if it is possible or even likely. In such a case, the person would say “I believe that life on Europa is possible” or “I believe life on Europa is likely,” not “I believe there is life on Europa”. Unjustified belief is unreasonable, and on that basis alone, is worthy of ridicule.

No comments:

Post a Comment